Inspiration Monday #4: A Vintage Affair

Monday 20 October 2014

Hello Everyone!

I thought it was about time I wrote a new 'Inspiration Monday' post for you all, so today I would like to share my thoughts on the vintage trend.

 
This style has been all the rage in fashion, media, music and interiors for quite a few years now. Logging into Pinterest without seeing the iconic style is near impossible nowadays. As I browse through boutiques stapled with distressed crates and old fashioned milk bottles, I wonder what it is exactly about this trend that's turning our homes into time machines?

The design world constantly looks to the past for inspiration. We see it on runways and in home magazines, but why? Perhaps its simply doing what we know works while adding our own contemporary twist on the idea?

Well,
I believe this style performs so well because as a society, we embrace the push for sustainability. We are now beginning to look at the way we use resources differently, including up-cycling old products to create new, innovative ones.

This has got to be my favourite 'Inspiration Monday' trend so far- I just think its absolutely adorable! I love the idea of adding a bit of history to your home. I think it just makes the space a little more interesting, wouldn't you agree?

Grabbing these décor items from thrift shops and markets at bargain prices is also an added bonus, who wouldn't want current trend pieces for a fraction of the price?!

That's it for today everyone.. So, Are you loving this trend?

Please let me know your thoughts and/or if you have any ideas for future 'Inspiration Monday' posts - I'd love to hear them!  As always, don't forget to check out my 'Vintage Affair' Pinterest board for more Pinspiration! While you're there, why not give us a follow too?! :)

You may also like to check out past 'Inspiration Monday' posts:

Geometric Love        Pretty Pastels        Pineapples?

Have a good week!

Love Megan xo


4 comments

  1. I do love the vintage look when other people do it-the pictures you put up are so adorable and lovely. But I can't seem to integrate it into my own style which I must just accept is more modern/industrial/asian influence. I think it's more important to go with your actual style, rather than trying to be something that you aren't. So for me, I'll just admire vintage look from afar ;)

    http://nerdydirtyflirty30.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jess, thankyou so much for reading and commenting!
      It sounds like you've got an absolutely wonderful sense of style!
      I often try to add little hints of a style within my own spaces. Since you enjoy industrial style, you may be able to sneak in a few decorative pieces from the past 30 years or so! Just my little suggestion! I’m so glad to see you enjoy this style as its one of my favourites!
      Have a great day

      Megan xo

      Delete
  2. I love vintage looks, and there's always such a temptation to try and build a vintage inspired room all at once when the true beauty is to build it up over time - with many trips to the flea market!
    thefoxandfurrow.blogspot.co.uk
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abigail,
      Thankyou so much for reading my post and commenting!
      Thankyou for your input- you certainly bring up a fantastic point!
      Besides, the more trips to the market, the better in my books! haha

      Enjoy your day!
      Megan xo

      Delete