Chasing Dreams

Monday 28 July 2014

Hello everyone!
This post is a little out of the ordinary for me but getting to know you guys on a more personal level is something I’d really like to do. Today I thought I would just chat to you guys and let you know how I’m feeling about life at this current point in time.
I’d consider myself to be a very ambitious person. I have big dreams and I know what I want in life. Having dreams is just something I’ve always had, and always wanted to have. In my eyes, if you don’t have goals or direction, then you’re not working towards anything.

Recently, my goals have become unclear and suddenly, I feel this life that I’ve been working towards slowly slipping away. Over dramatic? Maybe, but this feeling of being stagnant is very new to me and I find myself often feeling quite anxious and upset.

For the past 4 years, my main goal in life was to become an Interior designer. (This is something I’ve spoken about in one of my first posts but I’ll go into more detail on the subject here) So after I finished high school, I went off to pursue these dreams of mine. I really loved studying the subject and kept dreaming of the day that I would receive my diploma and be ready to enter the workforce. Earlier this year, these dreams began to become nightmares. Here are a few reasons that lead to this:
Firstly, one of my teachers informed the class that there was a high chance that the majority of us would go into working in retail selling furniture rather than actually designing homes. Don’t get me wrong, this I understood. I respect that you need to start from the bottom and pay your dues to get to the top. It was something I certainly wasn’t looking forward to.

Two ladies that had joined the class previously worked in the industry and had come back to refine their knowledge. This sounded pretty good to me; I’d meet new friends who I’d be able to ask questions concerning the life was aiming for. This was not the case. Instead, these ladies had some pretty negative things to say.

Lastly, the course itself just seemed to be really cold. I loved the idea of creating beautiful houses, ones that made you feel warm and safe. However, what I really wanted to do was inspire others to create their own homes and brighten their lives. (I touched on this in an earlier post). The industry just wasn’t what I thought it was going to be. Finding out that I would be working for years selling sofas to working in a negative office environment was certainly not how I wanted to spend my years. I knew I needed to withdraw from the class and have a really good think.

This little corner of the internet quickly became my solution and I love writing for it. It would be an absolute dream for ‘Room With a Bloom’ to become my full time job, A job where I can inspire readers every day. However, at this point it would be ignorant for me to rely on it. So now you are all caught up: I’m currently uneducated, unemployed and can’t help but feel unmotivated and lost.
A part of me is unsure as to why I’m telling you this. Reassurance that I will find my way perhaps?
What do you do when you become lost? Where do you start searching when you're not sure what you're searching for?

I am certain I was put on this earth to inspire others. I know I have enough drive to achieve anything I want. I just hope I can get out of this rut soon and start chasing my dreams again.

This post was really hard for me to write. However I consider this to be a good thing. It means my blog is growing and improving. I’m on the right track to becoming a great writer.
Please leave your thoughts below. Everyone has different views and opinions and I’d love to hear your take on the subject.
Thanks for reading!
Love Megan xo

6 comments

  1. If design is a passion, I highly suggest to not allow the opinions of 1 professor and 2 students be your end all be all. Maybe go about getting your final decision via a different route. How about an internship? Or workin as an assistant for a designer? Check out the grind first hand before you completely change your mind on school :) just my opinion! I did that with law school, ad although law school sounded interesting the life of lawyer wasn't. Lol

    Can't wait to see how your journey unfolds!

    Xx,
    Nidia
    www.musingsofnidia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nidia,
      Thankyou for including your comment, a fresh perspective can only be a positive thing in my eyes.
      Getting an internship is something ive considered in the past. My course actually involved a work experience component and its something I should look into in the future. Again thankyou for adding your thoughts, Have a great day xo

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear you've been knocked back by this, I love your posts and I think the blog will be an amazing asset to your portfolio/cv whatever you decide to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much for your support! It really is so special to me
      I'm sure i'll be back on my feet in no time! xo

      Delete
  3. I love your posts and I agree with Hannah that your blog will be an asset to your portfolio work. Try not to let people knock you down, do what you think/feel is right.

    I nominated you for a Liebster award! Check out the rules here: www.abubblylady.co.uk, it's a great way for your followers to find out more about you! :)

    Sarah x
    www.abubblylady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete