D.I.Y Yarn Tassel Garland

Monday 8 September 2014

Hello craft bugs!

 Since starting this blog back in June and making all of these DIY projects, I’ve become a much happier person. I'm so proud of this blog and all of the posts I've created. Craft posts are by far my favourite ones to make, They are just so much fun! This one in particular has got to my best so far. I hope you all enjoy reading it as much as I loved creating it!

Whist searching for new craft projects, I found some tutorials on constructing a yarn garland. They all looked so cute and seemed simple enough to make. So I’m going to show you today how you can make one of your very own!

Garlands are more commonly made from paper, but I thought yarn was a fantastic alternative since they are less likely to become damaged! Purchasing these garlands can also be quite costly, but with more creative freedom and less money spent, why wouldn't you just make them yourself? In total, this garland cost me about $14 for all of the materials (and there was plenty of yarn leftover afterwards too!)
Ready to learn how you can make one?
For this project you'll need:

  • Yarn in assorted colours
  • A piece of cardboard cut to the desired length of the tassels (Mine was 10")
  • Scissors
  • Twine/ plain coloured yarn
  • A needle (optional, but recommended!)
 
Lets get started!

The first step is to wrap the yarn around the cardboard until you have the desired thickness for your tassels. I wrapped mine around the cardboard 30 times per tassel.


Carefully slide the ring off the cardboard and secure it with a piece of the same coloured yarn. you may need to double knot this to keep it from coming undone.
 Make sure where you tie it is opposite from where you started wrapping.



Take your scissors and cut the yarn opposite of where you just tied. At this point you can also trim the excess yarn from your knot. Be careful that your knot doesn't come undone when doing this.


Fold your tassel backwards so that you cover the knot you tied. The top of your tassel should look like this.


Then take another piece of the yarn and tie it around the tassel to secure the shape. Again, you'll want to create a double knot before trimming the excess yarn!


Ta da!
Now just repeat the same simple steps to create as many tassels as you want!




Once you've got all of your tassels ready, its time to thread them onto some twine to hang. You can do this freehanded if you're patient enough, or you can use a needle like I did. Make sure you thread the twine through the back of your tassels (where the knot is)- you don't want the knots to be visible from the front!


That's it!



I absolutely LOVE this DIY. It was so easy, cheap and fun to make.. and it just looks so pretty!
As always, please let me know what you thought of this craft idea and send me your photos if you try it!
Happy Crafting!

Love Megan xo

8 comments

  1. I LOVE this! It's so simple but looks amazing. I'll definitely think about making one- just need to think what I'd do with it.
    Jennifer xx
    www.ginevrella.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad you love this idea! I hope you do end up making one :) I think doing holiday colours would look fantastic! (Eg green and red for Christmas)
      Enjoy your day lovely!
      Megan xo

      Delete
  2. It looks really really cute! I may make one for my room... :-)

    Nice post,

    See you,

    Cinthya | cinthyarose85.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi darling, thanks so much for stopping by and reading,I'm so glad you love this idea and I hope you make one :)
      Have a lovely day
      Megan xo

      Delete
  3. These are so cute! What a great idea :-). Lovely post hun xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou darling, I'm so glad you love this idea! Have a fantastic day!
      Megan xo

      Delete
  4. Very cute idea LOVE this DIY , indeed it is easy and useful :)
    xoxo
    clarice
    latesttrendfashion.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clarice, I'm so glad you love this idea and found it useful
      Please let me know if you decide to try this D.I.Y!
      Have a great day
      Megan xo

      Delete