D.I.Y Hanging Phone Holder

Saturday 27 September 2014


 
Hello everyone!

Today I'm sharing with you all this adorable solution for keeping your charging phone protected.. 
 
I saw this DIY on Pinterest and just fell in love with the concept.. unfortunately I don't speak German so interpreting the tutorial proved to be a little difficult. I spent a fair bit of time looking for a similar tutorial and didn't have much luck. The ones I found had unclear instructions or they didn't look as good. I finally found this tutorial and thought it seemed easy enough and was absolutely adorable! So here we go!

For this project, you'll need:

Fabric (I recommend 1 print and 1 plain fabric)
Batting/ Fusible interfacing
Sewing Machine or needle and thread
Scissors & a seam ripper
A pencil

Step 1: Cut out a rectangle from your two fabrics and your wadding. The original tutorial used 12" x 6" but I found it was too small to fit my iPhone 5. I adapted it to 16" x 6" but you can use any size you'd like to fit your devices.


If I were to do it again, I would probably make it 14" x 6" because I found mine to be slightly too big.
 


Step 2: Lay your batting flat and place one of the fabric pieces on top with the right side up. Then place the second piece of fabric faced down on the top so the right sides are together. Pin them so they stay in place.

 



Step 3: Sew around the edges with a 1/4" seam allowance. Remember to leave a few inches unsewn for turning.

 

Step 4: Turn the piece right side out and iron it flat. Then, top stich around the sides to close the gap and give a finished look to the edges.
 
 

Step 5: Fold up the bottom to create a pocket. Make sure your phone will fit nicely before pinning the pocket into place.
 


Step 6: Sew over the top stitching on each side to secure your pocket.

Step 7: To make the hole for your charger plug, you must first measure to ensure you make a hole large enough. Trace around the four sides of your plug using a pencil. 

 



Step 8: Use a tight zig-zag stitch to sew around your traced shape.

 

Step 9: Use a seam ripper to start a hole in the centre of your traced shape, then cut around the centre of the square getting as close to the stitching as you can.
 

Ta da!
 
 

 
I absolutely adore this project and found it sew easy! Let me know if you make this DIY... As always, i'd love to see your pictures!

Happy sewing!

Love Megan xo

4 comments

  1. Ohhh I love this post so much! Cute little DIY's are something I adore and always want to do! This looks adorable and has a cute practical use too :) Great post!
    Jemma xx
    www.dorkface.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jemma, thankyou so much for your lovely comment.
      I'm so glad you love this DIY, its been one of my favourites!

      Have a lovely day!
      Megan xo

      Delete
  2. This is amazing! If only I had the sewing skills for me to give it a try
    http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole, I'm so glad you like this idea!
      oh don't worry its easy once you give it a try, Perhaps that's something you'd like to learn one day? :)
      Good luck to you! Have a fantastic day
      Love Megan! xo

      Delete