D.I.Y Tin Can Lanterns

Thursday 6 November 2014

 
Hello again lovely readers!
 
Although it may not seem that long ago, it feels like forever since I've made a craft post for the blog. They're my favourite posts to create so I thought I would go ahead and make a new one for you all today!
I was inspired to create this post by the warmer weather we here in Australia have been experiencing lately. I think that these little lanterns are just perfect for summer backyard parties! They're also really easy and inexpensive to make- I had all of the materials already at home!
Keep reading to find out how you can make these little lanterns!


For this project you'll need:
  • Tin Cans
  • A power drill
  • Thin wire
  • Pliers
  • Spray Paint in assorted colours
  • Tea light candles
Before starting this project, you'll need to do some preparation. Fill your cans with water and freeze them overnight. This is so you don't bend the cans out of shape when drilling holes into them. You may also like to print out some designs for your lanterns too.
 

Tape your chosen design to the can. Alternatively, you can use a marker to draw a design onto your can. I learned that the simpler the design, the better the results! 
 
 
Using your power drill, drill holes outlining your chosen design. I used a few different sized drill bits to create my design because I thought it would look a bit interesting! Remember to try your best at keeping the spacing of the holes as even as possible- This design didn't really go to plan, but I thought it still looked pretty cool!
At this point, you'll also need to drill 2 holes on either side of the can for your handle. Once you've finished drilling, remove the ice by pouring hot water over it. It should melt relatively fast!
 
 
Next, Cut your wire to make the desired length for your handle. Thread one side through the hole and twist the wire together using your pliers. Once that's done, do the exact same thing to the other side!
 
 
Now its time to spray paint your lanterns! I used 2-3 coats for an opaque colour, but feel free to use as much as you'd like. This step is completely optional, but I thought it gave it a fun and festive touch! Remember to allow time for the coats to dry!
 
 
Add your tea light candles & that's it! Don't they look adorable?!
They're bright and festive during the day..
 
 

..But its at night when these little lanterns really come alive!
 

 
Please leave a comment telling me what you thought of this idea! As always, I'd love to see your pictures if you recreate this DIY!

A special mention goes to my dad for letting me borrow his tools! (There you go dad, I thanked you!)

I hope you all have an amazing day and I'll talk to you soon!

Love Megan xo

6 comments

  1. Awesome! I actually did the exact same thing a few weeks back but all black and halloweeny - posted a photo on my blog last Wednesday haha.
    I love how you've done them so pretty and bright! Perfect for a summery BBQ or festival style party!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, just had a look and it looks fantastic! My little brother actually had the same idea as you! He wanted to make a 'Jack O lantern' using the cans- that's pretty funny!
      Thanks for stopping by and having a read, it's appreciated!
      Have a great day
      Megan xo

      Delete
  2. So cute! I love how different they look from day to night. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess! I was surprised by how well they looked at night too! I'm so glad you love them! :)
      Megan xo

      Delete
  3. These are so cute Megan! I seriously wish I had a garden to put some in. Love your DIYs!
    Hannah / Hannah Bakes Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Hannah, thankyou so much for your lovely comment! I'm so pleased to hear you love my DIY's!
      Hopefully one day you'll get your garden and now you've already got some decoration ideas!
      Have a great day
      Megan xo

      Delete